Crossing over to CFT from other diving agencies

If you’re already certified by another diving organisation (PADI, NAUI, etc.), CFT recognises your diving qualification. You can cross over to CFT and continue your skill progression. The CFT website has a list of diving certifications showing the most common qualifications recognised by CFT, but certs from less well-known agencies can be dealt with on a case by case basis.

If you have a boat handling qualification (ISA, RYA, etc.) or a Nitrox certification, these may also be recognised. Boat handling and CMAS *** (e.g., PADI Divemaster or equivalent) crossovers have some additional hoops to jump through, so contact me (sdób) directly to discuss this further.

Before you start

Ensure that all of the following apply to you.

  • You are fully paid up: CFT dues (€55) and equipment levy (€50);
  • you are registered as a CFT member (i.e., you have a CFT number and you know what it is);
  • you have a CFT logbook;
  • you have successfully completed a medical examination; and
  • you have (a) made a photocopy of your diving certification and (b) found the logbook in which you have recorded your dives in your career so far.

If you can’t tick all of these boxes, then do what you need to do so that you can. (Up to and including emailing me to remind me to register you as a CFT member, if I haven’t done so already.)

How to find out what to do

First of all, download and read (carefully) the full CFT Diver Equivalence Policy document. This document outlines the process in detail. A solid 90% of the questions asked about crossing over are answered in this document and any answer I give will be a (possibly incorrect) interpretation of same, so please read it (again, carefully).

Crossover lectures

CFT require you to attend a couple of lectures. You need to be introduced to CFT hand signals (which differ from PADI’s) and the Bühlmann dive tables used by CFT; if you are not used to diving in cold water, or from small boats, you also need to know how to dive in these conditions. The list of lectures (‘Equivalent Knowledge Sessions’) is in the equivalence policy, which by now you have read.

If you have attended all the Trainee Diver lectures on Tuesday nights so far this autumn, then you have attended all of the necessary lectures. If you haven’t, then you may be missing some. This is not a problem (nor is it your fault); we can easily run catch-up lectures after Christmas, but we do need to know who is missing what. Please consult your CFT logbook and the list of lectures and contact me, and I’ll try to work out something to cover everybody.

Applying to crossover

Download and print out the Diver Equivalency Application Form. You can complete section 2 yourself; in this part you give some personal details, a list of qualifications, and an outline of your diving experience to date.

Once that’s done, you need to contact me so that we can meet at the PE Office to send off for your crossover cert. You’ll need to bring the form, your CFT logbook with proof of a completed medical assessment, and a copy of your certification. There is also a fee of around €20 (I’ll update this post when CFT confirm this). This goes straight to CFT head office; we don’t make a cent out of you, sadly.

In case of fire

If you have any questions, shoot me an email and I’ll do my best to answer them.

Leave a Reply